What is a Health Home?
A Health Home is a group of health care and service providers collaborating to ensure that New York’s Medicaid beneficiaries with complex chronic illnesses and/or behavioral health disorders receive necessary care and services to lead healthful lives.
Once an individual enrolls in a Health Home, s/he becomes a member and is matched with a care manager. This care manager develops a care plan with the individual, which outlines the services necessary and resources available to promote healthy living, including:
- Support accessing appropriate medical and behavioral health care—from scheduling appointments to arranging transportation and providing accompaniment when necessary;
- Transition assistance solidifying follow-up care after a hospital stay or an emergency room visit; and
- Championship of supportive housing options and attainable benefits such as Social Security and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
By using Health Home services, members can access quality treatment and support in the community. Each member’s individualized community services are coordinated by a care manager. As a result, Health Home members are:
- More likely to receive preventive medical care;
- Less likely to overuse the emergency room for routine healthcare; and
- Less likely to require hospital admission to remedy health concerns.
Who Is Eligible For A Health Home?
A person of any age can enroll in a Health Home if s/he receives Medicaid and has:
- A serious mental illness, or
- HIV/AIDS, or
- Two or more serious chronic medical conditions, including a substance use disorder.
Children with complex trauma and/or serious emotional disturbance are also eligible.
How Are Health Home Services Accessed?
Individuals with Medicaid who are Health Home-eligible can access information on how to enroll in CBC’s Health Home here. Once enrolled, members are matched with a culturally competent care manager who speaks their language. The care manager works with individuals in their home community to determine appropriate services within the citywide CBC Health Home service network. These include hospitals, community medical and mental health clinics, substance use treatment programs and supportive housing.